The Cabinet of Ministers has made a decision to submit to the National Security and Defense Council proposals for the imposition of sectoral sanctions against the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Government made the relevant decision at a meeting on 25 April.
The proposals were previously reviewed and recommended for submission to the Cabinet of Ministers by the Interagency Working Group on the Implementation of the State Sanctions Policy chaired by First Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine – Minister of Economy of Ukraine Yuliia Svyrydenko.
“We are launching sectoral sanctions against Iran. Unfortunately, the previous restrictions imposed by Ukraine and our partners on individuals and companies directly involved in the supply of weapons to russia were not taken as a serious warning. Well, we will strengthen our arguments. We will also work to ensure that as many countries as possible join such tough decisions. Aggression against Ukraine will not go unpunished. Similarly, assistance to the aggressor will not go unpunished,” said Yuliia Svyrydenko.
According to the proposals by the Government, the sanctions will be imposed for a period of 50 years and include:
- prevention of capital outflow by residents of the Islamic Republic of Iran from Ukraine;
- ban on transfer of technologies and intellectual property rights to Iranian residents;
- ban on investments in Iran and to/for the benefit of Iranian residents;
- suspension of servicing electronic payment instruments (including transfers, payments and cash withdrawals) issued by Iranian residents;
- ban on registration by the National Bank of Ukraine of an international payment system, a participant of an international payment system operated by residents of the Islamic Republic of Iran, etc.;
- restriction of trade operations with goods, international transfers of which are subject to the Law of Ukraine “On State Control over International Transfers of Military and Dual-Use Goods” with residents of the Islamic Republic of Iran (complete ban), restriction of trade operations with services related to the supply, sale, transfer, production or use of such goods, complete termination of transit of resources, flights and transportations by residents of the Islamic Republic of Iran through the territory of Ukraine related to the above-mentioned sanctions.
The sanctions proposed by the Government will come into force after the relevant decision is made by the National Security and Defense Council, enacted by the President of Ukraine and approved by a resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.