The 11th Ministerial Conference took place from 10 to 13 December 2017 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was chaired by Minister Susana Malcorra of Argentina. The Conference ended with a number of ministerial decisions, including on fisheries subsidies and e-commerce duties, and a commitment to continue negotiations in all areas.
The Conference opened with the signing of a presidential declaration in support of the WTO. This was signed by:
- President Macri of Argentina,
- President Temer of Brazil,
- President Cartes of Paraguay, and
- President Vázquez of Uruguay
- as well as by representatives of Colombia, Guyana, Mexico, Peru and Suriname.
On 11-12 December the plenary sessions provided an opportunity for ministers representing the WTO's 164 members to make prepared statements. At the closing session on 13 December, the Chair, Minister Malcorra, issued a Chair's statement and Director-General Roberto Azevêdo delivered his closing speech.
On the final day of the conference, three proponent groups announced new initiatives to advance talks at the WTO on the issues of:
Other notable events at the Conference included:
- the publication of the Buenos Aires Declaration on Women and Trade;
- the launch of the "Enabling E-commerce" initiative; and
- the announcement of Google as the WTO/ICC's first Small Business Champion following the culmination of the small business video competition.
The Conference ended with the following ministerial decisions on:
- Fisheries Subsidies;
- Work Programme on Electronic Commerce;
- TRIPS non-violation and situation complaints;
- Work Programme on Small Economies;
- The creation of the Working party on accession for South Sudan.
In addition, resulting from the consultations and considerations outcome, Ukraine has joined the following documents:
- Declaration in support of the Multilateral Trading System
- Joint statement on Electronic Commerce
- Joint statement on Services Domestic Regulations
- Buenos Aires Declaration on Women and Trade.
|Ministry of Economy of Ukraine||
01008, Ukraine, Kiyv city,
Grushevsky str., 12/2