The period of the last four years in the field of technical regulation, standardization, metrology and metrological activity was the period of active revision of the legislation and infrastructure.
In 2014-2018, new basic Laws of Ukraine On Standardization, On Metrology And Metrological Activity, and On Technical Regulations And Conformity Assessment were adopted. In order to implement the said laws, a total of 80 regulatory-legal acts as well as the Technical Regulation System Development Strategy Until 2020 have been drafted and adopted.
Of a total of 27 acts of the European sectorial legislation enshrined in the Annex III of the Ukraine - European Union Association Agreement, Ukraine has approved 24 technical regulations, of which 23 have already been enacted.
On the whole, Ukraine has approved 56 technical regulations, 52 of which were drafted on the basis of the EU legislative acts. At the same time, 54 technical regulations have already been enacted and declared binding.
Ukraine has completed a transfer from an outdated system of mandatory product certification to the conformity assessment system in compliance with the technical regulations similar to the European technical ones.
Ukraine has halved the number of categories of measurement equipment subjected to legislative regulations, which corresponds to the international model of metrological system.
Ukraine has switched from an outdated system of state testing of measurement equipment to technical regulations requirements conformity assessment.
Such a switch was possible thanks to approval of three technical regulations on measurement equipment and lists of national standards that introduce presumption of measurement equipment conformity with technical regulations containing 270 national standards.
Standard Base Development Program for 2018-2022 has been adopted. It envisages creation and improvement of 31 primary measurement standards, maintenance and operation of 69 state primary standards, harmonization of 20 state primary standards with the national standards of other states and other international standards.
In 2015, a total of 14,475 outdated interstate standards developed before 1992 were terminated gradually in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The National Standards Fund contains 20,227 national standards of which 12,882 are international and European ones later accepted as the national standards. The level of harmonization with the international and European standards is 63%.
Institutional reforms required for creation of effective quality infrastructure in Ukraine have been implemented.
National standardization body has been established. Its functions are fulfilled by the Ukrainian Research and Training Center of Standardization, Certification and Quality (SE UkrNDNC). SE UkrNDNC represents Ukraine in the regional and international standardization organizations.
Ukraine's accreditation system is the most harmonized with European and international requirements among other accreditation systems in the Commonwealth of Independent States.
The National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine represents Ukraine in the European co-operation for accreditation (EA), International Accreditation Forum (IAF), and the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC).
Establishment of the infrastructure of relevant institutions under the Law of Ukraine On Technical Regulations And Conformity Assessment is underway.
Steps to perfect the conditions for acquisition of Ukraine's full membership of the International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML) and to sign the Metre Convention are being taken.
In order to refresh and update the domestic physical quality infrastructure over 450 equipment units have been acquired for the funds provided by the EU.
The major promising trends in activity of the Economic Development and Trade Ministry of Ukraine in the field of technical regulation and metrology of Ukraine in the near future are:
1. Improvement of the legislation in the field of technical regulation, standardization and metrology.
2. Taking steps envisioned by the Technical Regulation System Development Strategy until 2020.
3. National standardization body capacity building.
4. Annual adoption of at least 2,000 national standards harmonized with the international and European ones.
5. Harmonization of the national standards with the international and European ones with a goal to achieve the level of harmonization of 80%.
6. Creation of conditions for Ukraine to sign the Metre Convention.
7. Creation of conditions for drafting and adoption of 352 procedures to verify legislatively-controlled measurement equipment in operation.
8. Creation and improvement of 31 primary standards for equipment used in measuring, maintenance and operation of 69 state primary standards, harmonization of 20 state primary standards with the national standards of other states and other international standards in compliance with the Standard Base Development Program for 2018-2022.
9. Further creation of conformity assessment institutions' infrastructure in compliance with technical regulations.
10. Preservation of the signatory status within the agreements with the ЕА, ILAC and IAF.
11. Implementation of the Twinning, UNIDO, CUTIS, GІZ, PTB projects.
12. Singing of the Agreements on Conformity Assessment and Acceptance of Industrial Goods (ACAA) in three top-priority sectors and preparation for expansion of the ACAA Agreement for other sectors.
Ministry of Economic Development,
Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine
01008, Ukraine, Kiyv city,
Grushevsky str., 12/2