The field of metrology and metrological activity is regulated by the Law of Ukraine On Metrology And Metrological Activity (hereinafter the Law) elaborated based on a document of the International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML D1).
In order to implement the Law, a total of 41 regulatory-legal acts have been adopted.
The Law and the regulatory-legal acts define the scope of legislatively-regulated metrology, units of measurement, national standards requirements, measuring instruments, verification and compliance assessment, as well as metrological supervision.
All the aforementioned legislative acts have been drafted on the basis of international and European requirements - documents of the International Organization of Legal Metrology and the European cooperation in the field of legal metrology (WELMEC) as well as respective legislative acts of the European Union.
Adoption of the Law has created a legislative background for harmonization of "vertical (sectorial) legislation," enshrined with Section 2 of Supplement III of the Ukraine - European Union Association Agreement as Ukraine takes all necessary steps to harmonize Ukrainian metrology system with the metrology systems of the EU to implement Articles 56 and 57 of Chapter 3 Technical Barriers In Trade of the Ukraine - European Union Association Agreement.
In compliance with the Law, the national metrology service of Ukraine is comprised of:
- central executive body engaged in establishment and implementation of state policy in the field of metrology and metrological activity (Economy Development and Trade Ministry of Ukraine);
- central executive body engaged in implementation of the state policy in the filed of metrological supervision (State Service Of Ukraine For Food Safety And Consumer Protection);
- four scientific metrological centers: Institute of Metrology national scientific center (Kyiv); State Enterprise Scientific-Research Institute For Metrology Of Measurement And Control Systems (DP NDI Systema; Lviv); Ivano-Frankivskstandardmetrologiya state-run enterprise (Ivano-Frankivsk);
- 24 state-run enterprises managed by the Economy Development and Trade Ministry of Ukraine and engaged in metrological activity (located in every region of Ukraine);
- Service of Universal Time and Reference Frequencies, Service of Standard Samples of Composition and Properties of Substances and Materials. Institute of Metrology is the Main Center of the Service of Universal Time and Reference Frequencies as well as scientific center of the Service of Standard Samples of Composition and Properties of Substances and Materials;
- metrological services of other central executive bodies and state bodies, enterprises and organizations;
- bodies engaged in assessment of compliance of measuring instruments and verification laboratories. The aforementioned bodies and laboratories are selected and authorized by the Economy Development and Trade Ministry of Ukraine and are third parties engaged in assessment of compliance and verification of measuring instruments.
At present, there are five bodies engaged in assessment of compliance with the requirements of technical regulations on measuring instruments. Besides there are also 96 authorized laboratories.
Requirements for measuring instruments (hereinafter MI) available in the Ukrainian market and/or being introduced into the Ukraine market are set with three technical regulations:
- technical regulation on non-automatic weighing instruments developed on the basis of Directive 2014/31/EU on the harmonization of the laws of the EU member countries regarding introduction of non-automatic weighing instruments (NAWI) into the market;
- technical regulation on measuring instruments developed on the basis of Directive 2014/32/EU on the harmonization of the laws of the EU member countries regarding introduction of measuring instruments (MID);
- technical regulation on legislatively-regulated measuring instruments that covers the categories of legislatively-regulated measuring instruments in Ukraine not covered by the technical regulations developed on the basis of the MID and NAWI directives.
In compliance with the Law, legislatively-regulated MI used in Ukraine are subject to mandatory periodical inspection. The list of such MI is approved by the Ukrainian Government and formed of 80 MI categories.
Metrological supervision is rendered over the legislatively-regulated MI being used in compliance with the Law.
The supervision provides for examination of the condition and verification of observance of the MI application rules, adherence to requirements for periodical examination, use of permissible units of measurement during MI application.
Besides the metrological supervision is rendered in order to verify correspondence of MI to requirements of aforementioned technical regulations and the number of packaged goods.
In compliance with the Law, metrological requirements for packaged goods are enshrined in:
Technical regulation on bottles used as measuring vessels drafted on the basis of the Directive 75/107/EEC;
Order 969 of the Economy Development and Trade Ministry of Ukraine dated July 5, 2017 On Metrological Requirements For Packaged Goods registered in the Justice Ministry of Ukraine under 934/30802 on July 28, 2017.
At present the list of national standards (etalons) of Ukraine consists of 69 state primary standards of units of measurement. Besides a total of 270 SMS-lines on measuring and calibrating capacity of the national standards are introduced into the database of the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM).
Ukraine is represented in the following international and regional metrology organizations:
General Conference on Weights and Measures (СGPM), an associate member since 2002;
Euro-Asian Cooperation of National Metrological Institutions (COOMET), a full member since 1992;
European Association of National Metrology Institutes (EURАMET), a partner organization since 1998;
International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML), a corresponding member since 1997.
The major promising areas for the Economy Development and Trade Ministry of Ukraine in the field of metrology and metrological activity are:
1. Harmonization of all regulatory-legal acts with the Law of Ukraine On Metrology And Metrological Activity. At present the number of such regulatory-legal acts is 121.
2. Creation, improvement and verification of national standards (etalons).
3. Ensuring Ukraine's full membership of the OIML.
Meeting of the said goal will facilitate raising the level of social stability and welfare in the country, further development of trade and investment cooperation with the EU countries, as well as removal of technical barriers to trade.
Ministry of Economic Development,
Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine
01008, Ukraine, Kiyv city,
Grushevsky str., 12/2